Sunday, July 23, 2006

Pro war Christians fascinate me


I know that Evangelicals subscribe to a rather peculiar Christology, but their ability to (mis)use the Gospel to justify -- and even to celebrate -- war, without enduring even the slightest pang of conscience, leaves me at a loss for words.

Let's face it, even Christians with a highly developed Theology of war (See Catholic Encyclopedia entry here) have to sense an uneasy contradiction between "justified violence" and the message of the Prince of Peace.

For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son—both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die. [Ezekiel 18:4]


War, and violence in general, may have to be tolerated but watching good "Christians" celebrate hostilities -- even to the point of regarding innocent human suffering as nothing more than "collateral damage" (see the danger in "religious people" adopting statist/party terminology?) -- and even viewing it as something to be amused by -- then it's all gone terribly wrong.

Pat Robertson, please call your office...

I'm neither a pacifist nor, for that matter, am I a very good Christian but stumbling upon these things on right wing blogs, sets alarm bells off in my inky black soul:

“Lord, please hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior. Amen.”


Think Jesus is going to hear that one? I don't know, but prayers like the one above, that seem to equate soldiers en masse with (potential) Holy Martyrs make me wonder if it's the Soul of Islam or the Soul of Christianity that's at greater risk these day

No comments: